Job Opening Title: Cataloging Archivist
Institution/Organization Name: History Associates Incorporated
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): West Orange, NJ
Application Deadline: open until filled
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: History Associates is actively recruiting for an archivist to work on a fascinating historic object cataloging project located in West Orange, New Jersey.
The Cataloging Archivist will accomplish the following:
• Assign a unique cataloging number to each object, and physically label the object.
• Take two digital photographs of each object, upload them to the cataloging system, and deliver an additional set to the client.
• Describe and document details of each object according to a specific set of metadata fields and standards for two cataloging systems: the Interior Collections Management System (ICMS) and a Machine-Readable Cataloging (MARC) database.
• Carefully handle the historic objects to prevent damage of any sort.
Master’s degree in library science, history, or related discipline with a concentration in archival studies or archival courses, seminars, internships, or practica.
– Ability to pass a National Agency Check
• One year of experience cataloging archival records or artifacts in a cataloging system or database
• Demonstrated practical knowledge of archival policies and procedures
• Ability to work independently and to exercise discretion, initiative, and judgment
• Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others
• Strong writing and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated experience creating catalog records for archival collections in the Interior Collections Management System (ICMS).
• Demonstrated experience creating catalog records according to MARC and RDA bibliographic standards.
Send cover letter, resume, sample catalog record, transcripts, and names and phone numbers/email addresses of three references to:
History Associates Incorporated
ATTN: Doris Miles, Director of Personnel
300 N. Stonestreet Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850
Packages not containing all information requested will not be considered for this position.
History Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.