Job Opening Title: Archivist (part-time)
Institution/Organization Name: Cambridge Historical Society
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Cambridge, MA
Application Deadline: September 4, 2017
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 2+ years
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Archivist
Here at the Cambridge Historical Society, we don’t do history for history’s sake. It isn’t enough to present history as events that happened. We need to dig deeper, and answer “so what?” and “who cares?” Our humanities-focused approach to tackling contemporary issues through conversation and perspective-taking is one we’re proud of.
The Society seeks a part-time archives professional to engage with the community to increase participation and utilize collections to support the Society’s programming.
• Arrange, describe, preserve, and process the Society’s object and archive collections;
• Answer reference requests in a timely manner and assist researchers with the highest level of customer service;
• Attending Collections Committee meetings bi-monthly;
• Research and apply for collections-related funding opportunities;
• Collaborate with other repositories in Cambridge;
• Supervise interns and volunteers;
• Curate a consistent and strategic social media campaign;
• Maintain the WordPress website.
• MLS/MLIS, with a concentration in archives preferred;
• Two or more years of experience required, preferably with some supervisory experience;
• Enthusiasm; experience working in a team setting as well as independently; strong organizational and communication skills required;
• Ability to lift 25 lbs and move within tight spaces of a historic building.
Hours + Compensation
• Position is part-time at 16 hours a week;
• Set hours are flexible during regular business hours (Monday–Friday, 9AM-5PM);
• Work will take place onsite at the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House, a non-handicap accessible historic building.
• Compensation is $22/hour
If interested in joining a small team of individuals dedicated to making the past relevant to the present, please submit your resume and letter of interest to Marieke Van Damme, Executive Director, at email@example.com by September 4.