The Digitization Intern will primarily assist with the digitization of the Jasper County Records Center’s collection of Carl Taylor photographic negatives. Carl Taylor a former mayor, city councilman, reporter, and photographer in Carthage, Missouri owned a commercial photography studio from 1955 to 1978. The Jasper County Records Center holds in its collection the negatives of the majority of Taylor’s work shot during this period, including his work as a staff photographer at the Carthage Press, portraiture shot in his studio, and freelance work he shot for a variety of customers.
All internships are unpaid but may be used for course credit. Time requirements are flexible–all we ask is that you are available for at least 5-10 hours to work on site per week.
The intern will report to the Director/Archivist while carrying out the following tasks:
– Preparing and scanning film negatives in adherence with institutional and archival standards
– Calibrating all components of the digital capture system, including software preferences, scanner, and lighting settings
– Creating archival masters as well as derivatives for storage and delivery
– Perform quality assurance (QA) of scans
– Gathering and recording metadata about materials
– Rehousing all materials
The ideal candidate is pursuing a degree in Library and Information Science, Archival Studies, Museum Studies, History, or a related field and has the following skills:
– Digitizing experience in an archival, museum or library setting (preferred but not required)
– Familiarity with archival and digitization standards
– A very high attention to detail and good organizational skills
– Excellent writing abilities and communication skills
– Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access
– Ability to work independently with repetitive tasks
– Self-starter with a strong work ethic
We are currently accepting applications for internships for the Fall semester.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the internships to which you are applying in the body of your email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Posting expires on 9/15/2017