Job Opening Title: Archival Processing Assistant
Institution/Organization Name: University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Las Vegas, Nevada
Application Deadline: July 15, 2017
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 0
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: POSITION SUMMARY:
This temporary position is scheduled 19 hours/week, from September 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018. Hours will be scheduled between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday– Friday, in alignment with Special Collections hours of operation.
UNLV Libraries is currently hiring four assistants to begin work on a three-year archival processing project, beginning September 1, 2017. This project is designed to improve access and discovery of archival materials in Special Collections by arranging and describing a backlog of archival collections in a variety of formats, including personal papers, institutional records, oral histories, and photographs. Under the guidance of the project archivist, processing assistants will perform efficient nuanced processing (sometimes called “MPLP”) to create or enrich collection descriptions and perform appropriate levels of physical rehousing and arrangement.
For these positions, UNLV Libraries Special Collections and Archives Technical Services will provide structured training under the guidance of a credentialed professional, including instruction in basic archival theory and hands-on experience in archival processing. Individuals hired for these positions who are enrolled in graduate programs for library science, archival studies, public history, museum studies, or a related field may be eligible to receive course credit for some of the work performed (depending upon the rules and requirements of the graduate program).
• Implement existing archival processing plans
• Physically re-house and arrange materials as appropriate
• Research collections and review existing descriptions for completeness and compliance with national descriptive standards (such as RDA and DACS)
• Assign name and subject headings using controlled vocabularies (such as LCSH, LCNAF, and AAT)
• Create collection descriptions using ArchivesSpace, an electronic collection management system, and publish descriptions to the Web
Sitting at a computer screen, physically lifting and moving materials weighing up to 50 lbs., maneuvering book trucks weighing up to 100 lbs., bending and stretching, and exposure to dust.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong written communication skills
• Strong computer/technology skills
• Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment
• Attention to detail
• Experience working with archival materials
• Coursework in library and/or archival studies
• Familiarity with descriptive standards (such as RDA and DACS)
• Familiarity with controlled vocabularies (such as LCSH, LCNAF, and AAT)
** These are temporary funded positions for 10 months at $1,600 per month minus taxes. No benefits. 19 hours per week. The positions have the potential for renewal, contingent upon funding.
To apply, please email Cyndi Shein, Head of Special Collections Technical Services firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight (PST) July 15, 2017. Review of applications will begin July 16, 2017. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Email subject line should read: LOA application-YOUR NAME
Email must include the following attachments:
• Cover letter (why you are interested in this position)
• Résumé, including names and contact information for three professional references
UNLV is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action educator and employer committed to achieving excellence through diversity.