Job Opening Title: Collection Development Intern
Institution/Organization Name: Fenimore Art Museum
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Cooperstown, NY
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum seek an innovative, outgoing and highly motivated collection development intern to join the Research Library team this summer. Working closely with Librarians, Curators, and other stakeholders, the collection development intern will help articulate collection strengths and make recommendations for acquisitions and withdrawals in selected areas of the Library’s Main Collection. This is a full-time, paid internship for 8 weeks, to take place over the summer months of 2017.
• Research and write a collection summary for specific subject areas, identifying collection strengths and weaknesses, opportunities for growth and expansion, dates, formats, etc.
• Develop a detailed collection development manual for acquisition and withdrawal procedures.
• Make recommendations for titles to be retained or weeded, for sale or disposal by other means, or to be transferred to Special Collections.
• Assist with preparing books for removal, and cataloging clean-up in ILS and OCLC Connexion.
• Passion for American history, art, and/or material culture
• Graduate work towards or recent completion of Masters of Library Science, Masters in Museum Studies, or related subject area.
• Excellent research skills and technical expertise in data entry and MS Office
• Demonstrated experience and/or interest in library special collections and museums
• Demonstrated experience in project management and coordination
Interested applicants may submit a resume and cover letter via email to Jessica Zinger, Human Resources Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.