Job Opening Title: Archival Technician
Institution/Organization Name: Illinois Natural History Survey
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Springfield, IL
Application Deadline: open until filled
Years of experience required: 1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position: Archival Technician
Employer: University of Illinois, Illinois Natural History Survey at the Prairie Research Institute
Location: Springfield DNR offices
• Provide support of tasks for the digitization of documents associated with the 350+ IDNR sites as part of the Owned, Managed, and Leased Properties project.
• Coordinate retrieval of documents (deeds, owner’s policies, documents listed Schedule B of owner’s policy, official plats of survey, IDNR parcel plats, conservation easements, leases, nature preserve and land and water reserve dedications, etc.) from IDNR files, the Illinois State Archive’s, and/or various county recorder’s offices
• Scan documents into digital files using standards and methodology developed for the project (OCR, redaction, naming conventions for files and folders, etc).
• Review all scanned files to ensure quality scan.
• Archive files on INHS servers and document the status of documents scanned for each site.
Qualifications: must be willing to travel throughout the state, with occasional overnight trips, to gather necessary information from various county recorder’s office; must be proficient in English in both written and oral forms; have a valid driver’s license; ability to lift 40 pounds; expertise using computer applications (Microsoft Windows and Office products). Preferred qualifications: Excellent communication skills, highly organized with attention to detail, flexible work schedule, ability to work independently with minimal supervision, experience reading and interpreting legal descriptions and plat maps to identify location of parcels, experience with Adobe Acrobat Professional software. Experience using ArcGIS software is a plus.
“The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.”
Salary: $15.00/hr, 20 to 30 hours per week
Available: March 13, 2017 through June 30, 2019 with re-evaluation of appointment every 6 months
Application: Position will remain open until filled. Electronic applications required. To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three references to: email@example.com (Reference “TWEDDALE TECH” in subject line). Direct technical questions to Tari Tweddale at firstname.lastname@example.org.