Job Opening Title: Collections Manager
Institution/Organization Name: Oyster Bay Historical Society
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Oyster Bay, New York
Application Deadline: 03/27/2017
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 2+ preferred
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Job Title: Collections Manager
Location: Oyster Bay, NY
Start Date: April 3, 2017
Full-time Collections Manager position opening at the Oyster Bay Historical Society, a small yet active organization on the north shore of Long Island.
The Collections Manager will serve as the primary contact for the Oyster Bay Historical Society’s archival and special collections materials, and manage the day-to-day activities associated with the maintenance of the collections, archives and the collection facilities.
• Manage the Archives and Special Collections of the Society; including acquisition, description, processing, preservation and cataloging using Past Perfect Museum Software.
• Working in collaboration with the Executive Director, the Collections Manager will create and participate in public programs, and develop ideas for exhibitions using archival materials in the Society’s collection.
• Provide reference services via public hours, email and individual appointments.
• Maintain a strong presence on social media with occasional contributions to the Society’s blog.
• Prepares reports of collection activities for Board of Trustees Meetings.
• Master’s degree in history, museum studies, or other field related to collections, archives, and library science strongly preferred.
• Self-starting individual who can work independently.
• Experience with current archival methods and best practices.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint and Publisher.
• Must be willing to interact with the public and participate in outreach programs.
• Willing to oversee volunteers and academic internships.
• Actively pursue continuing education and professional development opportunities.
• Effective interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate effectively through both oral and written expression. Excellent organizational skills.
• Must be able to lift 35lbs.
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three work-related references to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin March 13.