Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Institution/Organization Name: Delaware Public Archives on behalf of private family
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Wilmington, DE
Application Deadline: March 31, 2017
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Employment Opportunity
An experienced archivist is needed for a year-long processing project outside of Wilmington, Delaware at the ancestral home of a prominent Delaware family. The project archivist will identify, arrange, and describe the family’s personal papers on site. The collection spans the 17th through 20th centuries and includes manuscripts, photographs, publications, maps, and various ephemera.
• Create a basic inventory and develop a processing plan.
• Appraise records and make recommendations for retention and disposal.
• Arrange and describe records in accordance with professional standards and best practices.
• House records in appropriate archival containers and folders.
• Perform basic preservation as needed.
• Create series descriptions and finding aids.
• Scan and digitize selected materials as part of processing activity.
• Master’s degree in library/information science, history, or history-related field. Training or concentrations in special collections or archival studies is preferred.
• A minimum of two years’ experience arranging, describing and processing archival records.
• Demonstrated high level of written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate clearly. Ability to interact effectively with many different constituencies including family members and staff from the state public archives.
• Capacity to organize and prioritize work in a deadline-oriented environment and provide written progress and status reports.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Physical ability to lift boxes up to 40 lbs. and carry them up and down stairs.
Please be advised that the work site is an historic homestead and the project archivist will have significant exposure to dust and mold.
Salary based on experience and qualifications.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, résumé, and five letters of commendation from professional references to: Stephen Marz, 121 MLK Jr. Blvd. North, Dover, DE 19901 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by March 31, 2017.