Maybe you missed this:
Growth opportunity for well-prepared, creative Archivist
Full-time Archivist, with competitive salary and benefits
Starting date: by mid-Spring, 2017
Sisters of Loretto Heritage Center, rural Marion County, Kentucky
Loretto Heritage Center Archives and Museum seeks a professionally trained archivist with well-honed skills across the full spectrum of archival functions. Beginning as Archivist under the Heritage Center Director, the successful candidate will have opportunity and encouragement to rapidly transition to full responsibility for the Archives by successfully meeting a wide range of archival challenges.
The Loretto Heritage Center, located in central Kentucky’s historic Catholic “Holy Land,” preserves and exhibits the documentary legacy of the Sisters of Loretto, a pioneering community of American Catholic sisters unique among American religious traditions. Loretto’s standing among centers of state and regional culture will give the Archivist of the Loretto Heritage Center ample opportunity to shape a long-term professional presence in the region.
The Loretto collections date from 1812, when three frontier women established a school and then a religious community among the first generation of Maryland settlers in Kentucky. The Archivist will have major responsibility for managing the manuscript and photograph collections which span Loretto’s 200-year history of education and social justice advocacy.
In 2012 the Loretto Heritage Center moved into a newly designed space, including new stacks and an award-winning museum. Since 2012 archival staff, interns and volunteers have begun to describe and catalogue the collections into a new digital catalogue for which the new Archivist will assume responsibility. The Archivist will also share duties as docent for the museum and will facilitate the use of archival holdings in the continuing development of exhibits and public programming for the region.
The Loretto Heritage Center Archives collaborates with the Kentucky Historical Society to make public the oral histories of individual Loretto members, documenting their contributions to the peace and justice movements of the latter half of the 20th century. The Archivist will assume responsibility for maintaining and adding to this oral history collection, making use of its recordings in appropriate venues, collecting and processing the personal papers of the individuals interviewed.
Basic education and experience requirements:
- Masters degree or equivalent in Public History, Archival Studies, Library Science;
- Professionally supervised internships in relevant areas of archival practice and history or employment experiences in these areas with strong professional supervision; minimum of three years relevant experience;
- Understanding of events and issues of the 19th and 20th centuries sufficient to contribute appropriate historical perspective and intellectual leadership to the collections of the Heritage Center;
- Excellent oral and written communication, and analytical skills;
- Full command of Microsoft Office applications, and the knowledge or ability to rapidly acquire functional skill using Apple computers, databases created with Filemaker Pro, and software for editing photos and creating brochures;
- Current knowledge and ability to move forward with such digital challenges as cloud-based filing, retention and preservation of born-digital documents, digitization options, techniques, and tools;
- Ability to comfortably interact with people from all kinds of backgrounds; ability to receive supervision and work collaboratively with others; ability to regularly lift 40 lb. boxes.
The Archivist will report to the current Director and through her to the elected leaders of the Loretto Community.
Along with competitive base salary and benefits, there is potential for advancement to the position of Heritage Center Director.
For consideration and for further position details, please send cover letter addressing experience and interest, detailed resume and contact information for three references to Sister Eleanor Craig, email@example.com
Applications are now being considered and will continue until a suitable candidate is found.