Job Opening Title: Assistant Archivist
Institution/Organization Name: Chevy Chase Historical Society
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Chevy Chase, Maryland
Application Deadline: February 10, 2017
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.:
The Chevy Chase Historical Society (CCHS), a nonprofit membership organization, has been collecting material relevant to the area for 35 years. Our archive represents a unique resource for scholars, students, and residents of Chevy Chase, Maryland, one of the earliest planned streetcar suburbs in the United States. The archive contains more than 10,000 photographs, 400 maps, 100 oral histories, a variety of documents, a research library and vertical files.
CCHS is searching for an Assistant Director of its Archive and Research Center. This Assistant Director is an independent contractor and paid on an hourly basis, for approximately 20 hours per week. The starting contract rate is $20 per hour. The Archive and Research Center is open to the public on Tuesdays, from 10:00am to noon and 1:00 to 3:00pm. The Assistant Director must be at the Center during those hours to greet and assist visitors and researchers. The schedule for the remaining hours is flexible and open to negotiation.
The Assistant Director reports to the Director, and in the absence of the Director, to the President and Board of Directors of CCHS.
Primary responsibilities include:
1. Conducting historical research for CCHS online exhibitions and other projects as needed.
2. Performing outreach activities to increase public knowledge, awareness and use of CCHS collections.
3. Assisting the Director with the management and maintenance of records, forms, procedures and practices relating to the archives, including cataloguing and accessioning, or overseeing the cataloging and accessioning, of new donations to the archives.
4. Responding to inquiries from patrons made by telephone, email and personal visits to the center, and assisting patrons and researchers searching the archives.
5. Assisting with the creation and updates of online exhibits drawn from the archives.
6. Assisting with the maintenance and updates of the CCHS web page and Facebook pages.
7. Assisting with CCHS public programs and events, including the annual fundraising Gala.
We also expect you to:
1. Be comfortable dealing with the public.
2. Be familiar with, or quickly able to learn, information technology used in small museums, such as PastPerfect, and website content management systems, such as Drupal.
3. Be familiar with, or quickly able to learn, the history of Chevy Chase, Maryland.
4. Understand the dynamics of working with volunteers.
5. Be a self-starter, independent worker and creative problem-solver.
6. Have strong oral and written communication skills and administrative skills.
1. A Master’s Degree or advanced coursework in History, Archival Studies, Library Science or Museum Studies.
2. Strong computer skills, including experience with the following computer applications: Word and Excel, required; Drupal, Photoshop, and PastPerfect, preferred, but we can train.
3. At least one year of direct experience in the field of archival management.
4. Knowledge of professional standards and best practices concerning archives, historical societies and museums.
Please mail a cover letter, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three references to:
Chevy Chase Historical Society
8005 Connecticut Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions, please email the address above or telephone 301-656-6141.