Job Opening Title: Library and Archives Internship
Institution/Organization Name: Longwood Gardens
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Kennett Square, PA, USA
Application Deadline: Feb. 1, 2017
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Library and Archives Internship
Longwood Gardens, in the Philadelphia area
Longwood Gardens Library and Archives seeks a graduate level student in Library Science or Archival studies (or related equivalent) to gain experience in the operations and management of a special library and institutional archives. Recent graduates may also apply.
The intern is immersed in each section of the unit—Library, Digital Gallery, and Archives. He/she works on a variety of assigned projects as part of a team to achieve the unit’s goals in supporting Longwood Gardens’ mission. Currently, unit goals are focused on developing robust intellectual control and access across all collections.
This is a 40 hour per week, paid position with optional free housing (a taxable benefit). Longwood Gardens is a public display garden located in Kennett Square, PA, 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
Position is available: June 1, 2017 – June 2018
Application Deadline: February 1, 2017. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
* Arrange and describe archival collections, develop finding aids, and make recommendations regarding storage, conservation and preservation treatment of archival materials in various formats, including born-digital records.
* Perform basic administrative level tasks in Digital Asset Management System (Asset Bank), including scanning, uploading, editing, training patrons, and supervising volunteer projects.
* Assist with cataloging of library materials and the strategic initiative to improve Authorities control in the EOS ILS.
* Assist in cataloging materials including object collections and digital assets.
* Assist in Records Management functions, including accessioning new records and ensuring timely destruction of expired materials.
* Perform basic reference interviews and services as well as circulation maintenance routines, such as check-in/check-out, shelve books and compile usage statistics.
* Perform routine environmental and pest monitoring in collection storage spaces.
* Assist with Interlibrary Loan tasks as needed.
* Perform various daily administrative and technical tasks.
* Participate in Longwood student/intern activities and all required student/intern work projects
* Be pursuing or have recently completed a Masters of Science in Library Science (MLS) or related equivalent
* Demonstrate a strong professional interest in cataloging and intellectual control of collections
* Strong Excel and data manipulation skills.
* Strong attention to detail
* Be able to work on multiple projects in a busy, fast-paced environment
* Be able and willing to work independently.
* Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to interact in a courteous, patient, and professional manner.
* Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
* Be willing to follow all of Longwood Gardens’ policies and procedures.
* Have a valid driver’s license.
The position extends throughout one full year, full time, 40 hours per week. This is a paid position at a rate of $10.00/hour with optional free housing (a taxable benefit) provided. Located in Kennett Square, PA, Longwood Gardens is approximately 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
For more information on housing, student activities, hours and wages, go to http://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-for-us-students or contact EDU-Studies@longwoodgardens.org.
A completed application should include
1. The application form (found here: http://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-us-students/apply-now/application)
2. A copy of your resume (this may be emailed or mailed)
3. A statement of your professional objectives, approximately 200 words (this may be emailed or mailed)
4. Official transcripts of all college courses, must show cumulative GPA, minimum GPA of 2.5 required (this may be emailed or mailed)
5. A letter of reference from your academic advisor (or professor) regarding your scholastic achievements and potential as an intern (this may be emailed or mailed)
6. A reference from a current or former employer, preferably from within your field of interest (this may be emailed or mailed)
ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Must be received by February 1, 2017.
Domestic and International Studies
P.O. Box 501
Kennett Square, PA 19348-0501 USA