Job Opening Title: Education Outreach Specialist
Institution/Organization Name: Newark Public Library
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Newark, NJ
Application Deadline: 10/28/2016
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Newark Public Library is accepting applications for an Education Outreach Specialist based at our Main Library. We are seeking a librarian or educator who loves to work with young people, their families, and teachers. The candidate will be responsible for the planning and execution of a 1 1/2 year grant-funded educational outreach program to engage young people with local history resources. The position will emphasize building relationships with local schools, community agencies, and mentoring organizations and connecting them with Newark’s libraries. Travel to schools and branch libraries is required.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Developing lesson plans, learning aids, and a family literacy curriculum based on themes from digitized historical collections in partnership with Newark schools
• Designing engaging programs and activities for young people and their families to facilitate a love of reading and learning
• Familiarizing children and their families with the Library’s resources and fostering an interest in the history of their communities
• Planning and providing enriching outreach activities to schools and community organizations: coordinating and scheduling visits to schools to deliver programs
• Maintaining awareness of NJ state educational standards and initiatives as related to early childhood, elementary, and high school education, and family literacy
• Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with schools and communicating with teachers and administrators
• Representing the library at school and community events
• Participating in special projects and performing other work as assigned
• Data collection and grant reporting/evaluating results
• REQUIREMENTS: A Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences and a New Jersey Professional Librarian’s Certificate with coursework in education or a teaching degree. The successful candidate will have experience with previous lesson plan/curriculum development; working with children; and knowledge of child development and early literacy skills; and an interest in history. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to present ideas effectively and to maintain relationships with educational partners, and strong computer and technology skills.
SCHEDULE AND SALARY: The grant-funded position is part-time, averaging 20 hours per week, with a maximum of 25 hours per week. This is a contract position which does not include benefits and is anticipated to conclude in July 2018. Salary is $30 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter expressing your interest in the position, resume, a lesson plan or writing sample, and three references to Heidi Cramer, Assistant Director for Public Services, The Newark Public Library at email@example.com. Application deadline is October 28, 2016.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.