Job Opening Title: Curatorial Internship
Institution/Organization Name: Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Rolling
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 0
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Archives of American Art seeks an intern for fall 2016 to contribute to upcoming exhibitions and help assist with organization of new acquisitions.
The intern will conduct extensive research in the Archives’ collections under the direction of the Curator of Manuscripts. As part of the internship, the student will learn how to identify and contextualize significant primary source documents and oral history excerpts. The intern will also learn about the AAA’s active collecting program by assisting with the acquisition of new collections. Both activities will introduce the intern to archival and curatorial workflows, including the content management system and Drupal-based website. The intern will be encouraged to write blog posts about his/her experience and use social media to share compelling archival discoveries.
Required Skills and Experience:
• The successful candidate will have attention to detail and the ability to follow guidelines for working with historic documents are critical requirements.
• Experience working in archives, library, or a museum setting and/or active participation in campus art history (or related fields) organizations and clubs.
• Familiarity with American art history
• A desire to learn computer and web programs.
• A keen interest in working with primary source materials.
• Cover letter
• Résumé detailing your educational background and work/volunteer experience
• Unofficial academic transcript
• Names and email addresses of two references, preferably those who can assess the applicant’s academic abilities but personal recommendations will also be considered
Submit all application materials through the Smithsonian’s online internship application system. For more information, contact Mary Savig at email@example.com